Preventing Motorcycle Theft Tips
Download this free PDF document below.
Motorcycle theft prevention is an easy task and becomes intuitive with regular practice. This article provides you with tips and tools to help prevent and deter motorcycle theft. Save yourself time and money by practicing these skills regularly.
- Install a Helmet Lock and use it always.
- When parking in a large lot such as Walmart or the mall, park in an open area that's highly visible. Avoid parking in the middle of the lot between other vehicles.
- Don't leave electronics unsecured. If you have a GPS or stereo on your bike, cover the item up or secure it with hardware.
- Lock your ignition and remove the key. Most bike thefts occur when the ignition is shut off, but not locked.
- Lock the forks or disk brakes with locks that have large, brightly colored tags.
- If traveling with other riders, lock motorcycles together when not in use.
- If riding alone, lock your bike to a secure, stationary object that can’t be easily dismantled, such as a light pole.
- Add an audible alarm to your motorcycle.
- When traveling and spending the night at a hotel, locate an outdoor security camera and park your bike in the camera’s view. If this is not possible, park your bike close to your room.
- Keep an eye on your bike. When parking at a public event, check your motorcycle periodically, especially immediately after leaving your bike, to make sure there are no suspicious individuals lurking about.
- If parking in a garage, block your bike with automobiles, close the garage door and make sure it is locked.
- Don't store your title in your bike's storage compartment, tank bag or saddlebag. The safest place for your title is at home.
- Uniquely mark and then photograph your bike. If thieves take your bike, note its unique markings to law enforcement using the photos you have taken.
- Keep your bike registration and insurance identification card on you when you ride.
- Be careful about giving out private information on where you live, work or play.
Start download PDF Preventing Motorcycle Theft Tips