13 Essential Computer Maintenance Tips
Download this free PDF below.
The following PC computer maintenance tips will keep your computer healthy, out of the repair shop, and in the home.
- Scan your PC daily with both an anti-virus and anti-spyware software. For anti-virus, we recommend ESET NOD32. For anti-spyware, we recommend SpyBot-SD (free).
- Disk defragment your PC weekly. This helps improve speed and performance.
- Keep your Operating System (Windows) and security software up to date.
- Un-install any unused or TRIAL/DEMO software. Unused software only bogs your PC performance down and clutters the hard drive. If you're not using it... uninstall it! Think of this as carrying around a bunch of junk in the back seat of your car.
- Don't use web browser tool bars. Most of these act as "spy-ware", collecting your browsing habits while on the web.
- Keep the dust out - using a can of air, clean all internal PC cooling fans and electronic components every 6 months. A dusty PC (internal) increases the heat, causing sluggish performance and reduces the life of your computer.
- Backup your data regularly, at least once a week. Google Drive is an excellent tool for this type of task.
- Use a UL Listed surge protector or UPS (uninterruptible power supply). This helps protect your PC and data during times of a power outage.
- Disable unneeded system startup programs. This is done using "msconfig" in the Run/Search menu.
- Properly shut down your PC, WITHOUT using the power button.
- Properly disconnect USB devices and safely remove hardware, rather than "yanking" them out of the USB port.
- Don't keep a cluttered desktop - remove all unused desktop shortcut icons, and place files in the My Document folders. This helps increase the computer's boot time and keeps you more organized.
- Regularly clear Internet browser cache, history and cookies. At least once a week should do the trick. This helps improve the speed of loading web pages and internet performance.
Start download PDF computer maintenance tips